"I Am the Resurrection"

 

    Today is Easter Sunday, a day to remember the Atonement and Resurrection of Jesus Christ. I woke up this morning with light bursting through the window. I looked outside to see a bright sun, a beautiful blue sky, and little yellow flowers poking up in the grass. I eventually made my way outside to take a little walk. Everything seemed to be bursting with life, from the trees, to the flowers, to the bees. I thought to myself, "even nature testifies of the Resurrection of Christ." 

    Summer comes to a close and with the arrival of Autumn, the leaves change colors and fall to the ground. Winter arrives and the trees become barren. Spring follows with flowers burrowing up through the ground and tree branches beginning to bud new leaves. There seems to be a renewal of life at this time. 

    In striking parallel to the change of the seasons, the Savior lived the summer of his life. He was then tried and crucified, signifying Autumn. His head fell as He gave up the ghost upon the cross. He was taken and laid in a tomb where his body laid for three days, as if it were the long, cold winter. On the morning of the third day, representative of spring, spirit and body were reunited as one, never to be torn apart again. The Savior had resurrected, gaining victory over death, and allowing each of us to one day be resurrected ourselves.  

    The arrival of Spring is a reminder of the hope, light, life which is promised through the Savior. It is a reminder that the grave has no victory and that the dead will live again. My own experience with death is limited, I admit. When I was in middle school, my dog who I loved dearly passed away. I remember being there with her when she drew her last breath. Tears streamed down my face and did not cease until we had buried her in our backyard. This was my first experience with death.

    Years later, when I was serving a mission in Brazil, we received a call on Christmas Eve that an older member of the ward had passed away. My companion and I, as well as two other missionaries were invited to come to the wedding and participate in the singing of a hymn. I will never forget the following Christmas morning. The man who had passed away was dressed in his white temple clothes, with an appearance of peace on his face. We sang the song, "Bela Sião" (Beautiful Zion) and I was overwhelmed with a feeling of peace and love. I felt assured that life continues after death and that God awaits our return home. 

    I am grateful for the renewal of life which spring brings each year. I am even more grateful for the eternal life which is promised through the Savior. The resurrection of Jesus, brings the assurance that death will have no sting and that life goes on. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons From Nicodemus

Hierarchical Structure of Jewish Society